TESCO APPEAL FUND SUCCESS
£25,000 RAISED IN TWO WEEKS
- We have achieved our target of £25,000 to employ a professional team to represent the Village’s interests at the Public Inquiry, due to start on 20th July.
- We have booked a specialist barrister (Claire Parry of 2-3 Grays Inn Square) to work with our planning advisor (Geoff Douglass of Pelham PLanning Associates, Ashtead) and we have some flexibility to obtain input from other experts upon some key aspects of our case.
- The team is now working to prepare a detailed case.
- We welcome the opportunity provided by the Public Inquiry, where the issues can be addressed fully.
- There are several aspects of Tesco’s case which we believe are flawed. We believe that a strong case can be made to the Planning Inspector.
- The Inquiry will look at both of Tesco’s proposals; for their 1,115 Sq m (retail space) store, rejected by Mole Valley District Council (MVDC) in March 2009, and for their 750 Sq m store rejected by MVDC in Feb 2010. For comparison, Tesco Express in Craddocks Parade, Lower Ashtead is only 211 Sq m.
- We are confident that, when presented with the full facts, the Inspector will understand why the scale of the proposals is inappropriate for the site and detrimental to several aspects of life in the community.
We are very grateful for the support provided by many local residents and to the local traders who helped to publicise the appeal and to collect donations.
It will really help our case if as many supporters as possible attend for parts or even all of the Public Inquiry due to start on 20th July, at Mole Valley District Council, Pippbrook, Dorking. It may last for up to 7 working days, so please do put the date in your diary now.
TOGETHER WE ARE STRONGER!
Please see the full ARA/SAVE Press Release on this site for further details.